Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Wire's Records of the Year


The Wire is just so darn cool. Even if their longwinded articles about sound artists or designers or whatever sometimes whoosh over my head without me even realizing they whooshed, they still remain my favorite magazine, with the best writing and best photographs of any publication in circulation today. And my tastes and theirs actually do cross paths pretty often, as is evident with their year-end list (which, as predicted, is one of the--perhaps the--most interesting lists of the year). As always there are albums I've never heard and/or heard of, but there are several I know and cherish. Which is good. So go to your local music magazine retailer and pick up this month's copy to see their 50 favorite albums of 2010, along with some genre-specific lists and nice articles by David Keenan et. al. (In case you don't get to see the rest of the list, just know that Sun Araw, Gonjasufi, and Emeralds helped fill out the top twenty. Neat!)



10. Kevin Drumm--Necro Acoustic
Drumm's music is cool but can be a bit hard to swallow. I haven't yet heard this collection.
9. Keith Fullerton Whitman--Disingenuity/Disingenuousness
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this, let me know.
8. John Tilbury & Sebastian Lexer--Lost Daylight
Never heard it. Doesn't necessarily seem like my style.
7. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti--Before Today
I knew they liked him. Well... whatever.
6. Rangers--Suburban Tours
This looks quite good to me.
5. Catherine Christer Hennix--The Electric Harpsichord
No idea what this is. Sounds good maybe.
4. Joanna Newsom--Have One On Me
Sounds about right.
3. Swans--My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
Alright.
2. Oneohtrix Point Never--Returnal
Alright, again.
1. Actress--Splazsh
This record has taken good British publications by storm, and it's also taken me by storm the past couple weeks.

2010. Whatta year.

No comments:

Post a Comment