Monday, December 20, 2010

My Favorite Tracks of 2010


Lists have been flying by like, well, something that flies by in great volume at great speeds. But now it's time for me, for my own list(s). First up is a list of my 90 (yes, 90. No more wussy 45 track lists!) favorite songs of this past year.

Collecting a songs list is, in my opinion, the most difficult. Because songs are short (compared to albums, at least) there's much less separating one from the next. "Song A and Song B sound very similar, but Song A repeats its chorus once more, which is unnecessary, so Song B gets to go ahead on the list." This is what I have to resort to: counting choruses! Not really, but still... It's an extremely inexact science, picking favorite songs is. At the end of the day, I suppose, it's about which ones I like listening to best, which ones I listen to the most. And that's how I compiled this list. The songs you'll see at the top are the ones that I played nearly to death throughout 2010, that racked up play counts on my iTunes sure to make all my other tunes jealous. You may notice that this means the list is skewed to short-ish, pop-ish songs. As much as I appreciate difficult music--it'll have a stronger presence in the albums list--the songs I listen to most are the big ones, the fun ones, the catchy ones. The songs that warrant me clicking the repeat buttons are the ones with the singalong choruses. The ones that give me goose pimples because they're so uplifting. The ones that put in a good and/or contemplative mood every time--even after successive listens over periods of months.

So, yes, some of these songs are predictable, everyone-loves-them kind of pop songs. But they're my favorite. Here they are, in all their glory (after the jump, of course).



90. Coma Cinema--Come On Apathy!
89. Disappears--Gone Completely
88. Tyler The Creator--Bastard
87. Drake--Fireworks (feat. Alicia Keys)
86. Cults--Oh My God
85. Macaw--Five Minutes At The Rainforest Cafe
84. OFF!--Poison City
83. Charlie Parr & Mike Gangloff--The World Is Not My Home
82. Balam Acab--See Birds (Moon)
81. Primary 1 feat. Nina Persson--The Blues

80. Erykah Badu--Window Seat
79. Forest Swords--Miarches
78. Girl Unit--Wut
77. ceo--Come With Me
76. Art Department--Without You
75. Pantha du Prince--Stick To My Side
74. Arcade Fire--Ready To Start
73. Drake feat. The-Dream--Shut It Down
72. Memoryhouse--Lately (Deuxieme)
71. Michoacan--In The Dark Of The Night

70. Kelis--Acapella
69. Deerhunter--Helicopter
68. Swans--Jim
67. Caribou--Kaili
66. World Unite/Lucifer Youth Front--Heavy Pop
65. Julian Lynch--Just Enough
64. The Body--A Body
63. Das Racist--hahahaha jk?
62. Caribou--Bowls
61. Flying Lotus feat. Thundercat--Mmmhmm

60. Zola Jesus--Night
59. The Lady Blacktronica--Luv Hate Us
58. Perfume Genius--Learning
57. Bonnie "Prince" Billy & The Cairo Gang--That's What Our Love Is
56. OFF!--Upside Down
55. Sun Araw--Last Chants
54. Oneohtrix Point Never--Returnal
53. Swans--You Fucking People Make Me Sick
52. The Books--A Cold Freezin' Night
51. Sam Amidon--How Come That Blood

50. Coma Cinema--Stoned Alone
49. Joanna Newsom--'81
48. Games--Strawberry Skies
47. Jim O'Rourke--Always Something There To Remind Me
46. No Age--Glitter
45. Beach House--Walk In The Park
44. Actress--Maze
43. Justine & The Victorian Punks--Beautiful Dreamer
42. Kanye West feat. Dwele--POWER
41. Titus Andronicus--A More Perfect Union

40. Hot Chip--Take It In
39. Sam Amidon--Pretty Fair Damsel
38. Gil Scott-Heron--I'll Take Care of You
37. Hot Chip--Slush
36. Big Boi--Shutterbugg
35. Arcade Fire--City With No Children
34. Oneohtrix Point Never with Antony--Returnal
33. Happy Birthday--Subliminal Message
32. Kanye West--Dark Fantasy
31. These New Puritans--We Want War

30. The Bug--Catch A Fire
29. Gil Scott-Heron--New York Is Killing Me
28. Beach House--Zebra
27. Nico Teen--Hungry For Love
26. The Knife--Colouring Of Pigeons
25. Matthew Dear--Little People (Black City)
24. Sade--Soldier of Love
23. Sam Amidon--Relief
22. Kanye West feat. Rick Ross--Devil In A New Dress
21. LCD Soundsystem--I Can Change

20. Janelle Monae--Cold War
19. Jack Rose--Lick Mountain Ramble
18. James Blake--I Only Know (What I Know Now)
17. Drake--Fireworks (Deadboy Slo Mo House Edit)
16. Caribou--Odessa
14. Kanye West et. al.--Monster
12. James Blake--CMYK
11. LCD Soundsystem--Dance Yrself Clean

10. Joanna Newsom--Good Intentions Paving Co.
9. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti--Round and Round
8. Titus Andronicus--Four Score and Seven
7. Cults--Go Outside
6. LCD Soundsystem--Home
5. Perfume Genius--Mr. Peterson
4. Kanye West feat. Pusha T--Runaway
3. Janelle Monae feat. Big Boi--Tightrope
1. Cee Lo Green--Fuck You

Do I feel silly picking a semi-novelty hit as #1? No, I don't. It's 2010's most gratifying (and replayable) listen and a song I'll be playing for my kids. Once they're old enough... Look for the albums list Wednesday or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment