Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gorilla vs. Bear's Albums and Songs of 2010

I always look forward to GvB's year-end lists; although I don't necessarily agree with them 100%, the lists often lead me to some great 2010 music I was previously unaware of. Such is not really the case with their 2010 edition, however, which is mildly upsetting. Though I certainly align with several of their choices, the lists themselves are just a little...blah. That they include EPs as albums is a little upsetting--or at least interesting--as well. As usual, they love White Denim, Beach House, and scrappy lo-fi rock, which, depending on who you are, could be a good thing or a bad thing. Whatevs... Top tens after the jump, full lists here and here. Happy Chanukah.


10. Girls--Broken Dreams Club
Haven't heard it yet. It's an EP, though. Cop out.
9. White Denim--Last Day Of Summer
They love White Denim. I do not.
8. Games--That We Can Play
Love this EP. But it's an EP.
7. Lower Dens--Twin-Hand Movement
This is the one I've never heard of. I look forward to listening.
6. Big Boi--Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son Of Chico Dusty
Again, I wish this wasn't a bit of a disappointment.
5. Joanna Newsom--Have One On Me
Finally some serious love for Joanna. I seriously love Joanna.
4. James Blake--CMYK/Klavierwerke
Last time I checked, a pair of EPs, however brilliant, do not constitute an album.
3. Shabazz Palaces--Shabazz Palaces/Of Light
See above.
2. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti--Before Today
Eh.
1. Beach House--Teen Dream
I figured as much. Not a bad choice, though I certainly don't agree.

And now for their top ten songs. (I'll refrain from commenting.)

10. Big Boi--Shutterbugg
9. Big K.R.I.T.--Country Shit
8. James Blake--I Only Know (What I Know Now)
7. Panda Bear--Alsatian Darn
6. Twin Sister--All Around And Away We Go
5. Girls--Carolina
4. James Blake--CMYK
3. Beach House--10 Mile Stereo
2. Joanna Newsom--Good Intentions Paving Co.
1. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti--Round and Round

There you have it. Thanks, GvB!

No comments:

Post a Comment