Thursday, December 10, 2009

Too Many Lists! Pt. 2 (2009)

Like I said before, the world has been hit with an onslaught of music lists. I'm consolidating best of '09 lists that are of interest in this post here. We have lists from The Onion, Spin, Mojo, and Stereogum. Enjoy! (These are all best albums of the year list, b-t-dubs.)

The Onion

Overall: Solid. Some unexpected choices, but tough to argue with. (Except #1.)
5. Dirty Projectors--Bitte Orca
Higher, perhaps? Actually not "perhaps." This needs to be higher.
4. Sunset Rubdown--Dragonslayer
I'm not a huge fan, but it's okay.
3. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion
This is fine by me.
2. Grizzly Bear--Veckatimest
Just a bit overrated here, I think.
1. Phoenix--Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
I could tolerate something like top 20. But #1? Give me a break.

Spin

Overall: These lists are all starting to look the same. Spin's is fine, though.
5. Girls--Album
I feel like I say the same thing all the time: good, but a little overrated.
4. Grizzly Bear--Veckatimest
Tough to argue.
3. Phoenix--Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Eh.
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs--It's Blitz!
I was pleasantly surprised by this album. Having said that, I'm still not a huge fan.
1. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion
Works for me.

Mojo

Overall: Another solid, similar list. They're clearly British, but they stepped a little outside their comfort zone with this one.
5. Tinariwen--Imidiwan: Companions
I actually never listened to this one. I like Aman Iman.
4. The Horrors--Primary Colours
I actually kinda like this band. But not this much.
3. Richard Hawley--Truelove's Gutter
Not too familiar with this guy.
2. Bill Callahan--Sometimes I WIsh I Were An Eagle
Not sure about this.
1. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion
A surprising and nice choice from Mojo.

Stereogum (The Gummy Awards)

Overall: Again--very unsurprising, but hard to complain too much about.
5. The xx--xx
Ok. I'll take it. But definitely overrated.
4. Phoenix--Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
No comment.
3. Dirty Projectors--Bitte Orca
Higher!
2. Grizzly Bear--Veckatimest
Lower! (Just a little bit.)
1. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion
People seem to like these Animal Collective guys, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment