Saturday, December 12, 2009

Greg Kot's Favorite Albums of 2009

I said I'll probably stop posting best of the decade lists, but I'm still all for best of 2009 ones. This one comes from Greg Kot, a writer for the Chicago Tribune and one of the two hosts of NPR's music show, Sound Opinions. He seems like a decent enough guy (just look at that photo), and I neither value nor disvalue his opinion. He knows what he's talking about, and he has solid taste. And he offers some different choices (i.e. no Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, or Dirty Projectors in the top 10.)

Albums

10. Kid Sister--Ultraviolet
Not a big fan.
9. Japandroids--Post-Nothing
Decent, but not great.
8. Rihanna--Rated R
I've actually been meaning to check this album out. I like Rihanna.
7. Kid Cudi--Man On The Moon: The End Of Day
Not a big fan.
6. Neko Case--Middle Cyclone
She's fine, but a little boring.
5. Phoenix--Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Whatever.
4. The xx--The xx
Good. Overrated.
3. Cymbals Eat Guitars--Why There Are Mountains
Decent. Way overrated.
2. BLK JKS--After Robots
These guys intrigue me, but I don't like their music that much.
1. St. Vincent--Actor
A non-AC/Phoenix #1. That said, I'm not crazy about her.

Songs (If I haven't heard it, I won't say anything)

10. Ida Maria--I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
9. Decemberists--The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs--Heads Will Roll
Definitely the album's best song.
7. K'Naan--T.I.A.
6. Cheap Trick--Sick Man Of Europe
5. Phoenix--Lisztomania
Decent song.
4. Weezer--Can't Stop Partying
It's not terrible. I can't give it much more than that.
3. Kid Sister--Right Hand Hi
"Control" and "Pro Nails" were decent. Two or three years ago.
2. Rihanna--Russian Roulette
Certainly one of the year's best pop songs.
1. Jay-Z and Alicia Keys--Empire State Of Mind
Another solid pop song. I like his #2 better, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment