Saturday, December 12, 2009

Poll Results: Your Favorite New Artist Of '09

This week, I asked you for your favorite new artist of the past year--"new" meaning they released their debut album/single/EP in 2009. There are so many new artists; it can be hard to keep up with them. But I asked you to pick your favorite anyways. I gave some options of blog- and Pitchfork- (and mostly Joe-) approved new bands, so...

The winner, with a total of 60% of the votes, was The xx. I'm not surprised, seeing as a lot of people really like The xx. And I like them, too. (Although I'm not sure I would have chosen them.) They take interesting influences (Aaliyah, Young Marble Giants) and make them sound modern and hip and stuff. Anyhow, Girls and Cymbals Eat Guitars each got 20% of the votes, which sounds about right. Micachu (sadly) got no votes, and neither did Real Estate (but Evan said he almost voted for them.)

We'll continue with our favorites of '09 in anticipation of the end of the year. Next: I'd like to know your favorite song of the year.

2 comments:

  1. I almost voted for Stillness is the Move, but then I realized I like Two Doves better. So I'm voting for that. Honorable mentions go to 1901 (Phoenix) and Snookered (Dan Deacon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. i'll make a note of that (not really). the only slight problem i have with "two doves" is it's a little too blatant a "these days" rip off at times. but i'm nitpicking; it's still definitely one of my favorite songs of the year.

    ReplyDelete