Sunday, November 29, 2009

Poll Results: Your Favorite Labels Of The Decade

Asking for your favorite label isn't as obvious as asking for, say, your favorite artist. A lot of times, people don't even notice what label an album was released by. And it's harder to keep track of everything a label releases than to keep track of everything an artist releases. But, just like some artists are better than others, some labels are simply better than others. They release better music, more music, more interesting music, they have great packaging, etc.

For this poll, I gave options of some of the bigger independent labels because, well, they release the kind of stuff you all listen to. The winner was (again) a tie. This time, it was between DFA and Domino, with each getting 28% of the vote. Both labels are pretty awesome, I think. DFA is run by James Murphy (of LCD Soundsystem) and Tim Goldsworthy and has released a good chunk of the best dance tracks and albums this decade. It has a pretty defined punky-disco aesthetic that I and many other folks enjoy. Domino has less of a defined aesthetic, but it's still a great label. They release a lot of better known indie music, and I think they do a good job. Plus, they did both Merriweather Post Pavilion and Bitte Orca. Talk about a good year.

Sub Pop, Warp, and Arts and Crafts each got 14% of the vote. I like those first two a lot, and the third is good enough. Matador got no votes, which is funny because that's my least favorite of all these, too.

Okay. Now it's time to tell me your favorite song of the decade. I asked you for favorite pop song a while back, but now it's just your favorite song period that was released somewhere from 2000 to 2009. (Remember to comment if you click "other".)

1 comment:

  1. I love Fireworks by Animal Collective and Obstacle 1 by Interpol, but I am going to vote for Feel Good Inc. by the Gorillaz as my favorite song of the decade.

    ReplyDelete