20. The National--Boxer
Boring. Sorry, but it is.
19. Beck--Sea Change
Decent album, but by no means great.
18. Amy Winehouse--Back To Black
A boring and derivative soul album.
17. Kanye West--The College Dropout
His best effort, but it's still not that great or original.
16. Rufus Wainwright--Want One
I've never heard this album, but I'm not crazy about Rufus.
15. Patty Griffin--1000 Kisses
I know nothing about Patty Griffin, but still...
14. The Strokes--Is This It
An obligatory choice, but a great album nonetheless.
13. Josh Ritter--The Animal Years
I've heard only some of his stuff, and I was unimpressed.
12. Spoon--Kill The Moonlight
I just don't get their appeal. They make pretty boring music.
11. The Hold Steady--Boys And Girls In America
Same deal as Spoon: I just don't like them or their unoriginal music.
Curious choice over Kala and a little high in the rankings in general. But still good.
9. The Avett Brothers--I And Love And You
I don't know them, but I think it's time to lay off the alt-country.
Finally: a great album on this list. This should be even higher though.
7. Gillian Welch--Time
See explanation of #9. (But replace "them" with "her".)
6. The White Stripes--Elephant
A very good album, but I think White Blood Cells belongs here.
5. Bright Eyes--I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bright Eyes are decent and nothing more.
4. Radiohead--Kid A
A necessary inclusion, but still slightly overrated.
3. The Arcade Fire--Funeral
2. Wilco--Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I'll say it again: I just don't like Wilco.
1. Sufjan Stevens--Illinois
I like this album. It's good. It's nice to listen to. But it's probably not even in my top 100.
That's what they think. I like the love for Chicago: Illinois and Wilco make up the top two.