Tuesday, November 17, 2009

NME's Best Albums Of The Decade

Here's another decade list. This time around, it's from British music magazine NME, which stands for New Music Express. Or Exchange. Or something. I don't know, and I don't want to look it up. Anyhow, they recently published their list of their 100 favorite albums of the decade. NME is a big deal in England, and it's been around for a long time. While they certainly suffer a little from British magazine taste (Muse, Kings Of Leon, too much Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, etc.) at times, they make some nice selections. There's deserved love for Dizzee Rascal and Mclusky, among others. And, like most others, they neglect most 2009 releases. Overall, it's a decent list: it's slightly more in tune with my opinions than I would've thought, but I certainly have many qualms. (Top 20 are posted below, and the whole thing is here.)

20. Blur--Think Tank
Britons like Blur more than I do.
19. The White Stripes--White Blood Cells
This one's top 10 material.
18. The White Stripes--Elephant
Interesting juxtaposition, but White Blood Cells is way better.
17. Sufjan Stevens--Illinois
Whatever.
16. The Streets--A Grand Don't Come For Free
Nice to see appreciation for The Streets, but this might be too much appreciation.
15. Queens Of The Stone Age--Songs For The Deaf
I like them, but this is a little excessive.
14. Radiohead--Kid A
This is a pretty sensible selection.
13. The Shins--Wincing The Night Away
This is a far less sensible selection.
12. LCD Soundsystem--Sound Of Silver
I like it even more than this, but I'll take it.
11. At The Drive In--Relationship Of Command
I really haven't heard too much from them. They seem okay.
10. Radiohead--In Rainbows
A high reward for the band's weakest album this decade.
9. The Streets--Original Pirate Material
Great album--might be a bit high though.
8. Interpol--Turn On The Bright Lights
I'm not as crazy about this one.
7. The Arcade Fire--Funeral
This is sensible enough.
6. PJ Harvey--Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
I haven't heard this album, but I'm not a big fan of hers.
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs--Fever To Tell
Eh.
4. Arctic Monkeys--Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Double eh.
3. Primal Scream--XTRMNTR
I like this album. But not quite this much.
2. The Libertines--Up The Bracket
To be fair, I haven't really heard this.
1. The Strokes--Is This It
Definitely overrated a bit.

UPDATE: NME stands for New Musical Express.

1 comment:

  1. The best thing I have gotten from all these lists is the Streets. I had never heard of them before, but now I'm kind of obsessed.

    ReplyDelete