Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Favorites From The First Part of The 20th Century

I don't have a ton of music from before the 1960s, which means I can't really make a "Best Albums of The '50s list" or something like that. But I do indeed love a lot of music that was recorded before 1960, so I thought I'd give you all a list of my favorite songs and albums (not in order) from that time period. This music stays mainly in the realms of rock n' roll, blues, and jazz, but I threw in some classical/experimental pieces that I like to keep it interesting. So this is basically my definitive guide to music I like from a long time ago. Enjoy.

Albums
Ornette Coleman--The Shape of Jazz To Come
Miles Davis--Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderly--Somethin' Else
The Quintet--Jazz At Massey Hall
Charles Mingus--Mingus Ah Um
Howlin' Wolf--Moanin' In The Moonlight
Howlin' Wolf--Howlin' Wolf
Mississippi John Hurt--Avalon Blues: The Complete 1928 Okeh Recordings
Blind Willie Johnson--Dark Was The Night
Tom Lehrer--An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer
Harry Belafonte--Calypso
Frank Sinatra--Songs For Swingin' Lovers
Original Cast--West Side Story
Buddy Holly--Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly & The Crickets--The "Chirping" Crickets

Songs (Limit 3 Per Artist)
Miles Davis--So What
Charles Mingus--Better Git It In Your Soul
Jimmy Smith--The Sermon
Louis Armstrong & His Hot Seve--Potato Head Blues
Duke Ellington--I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues
Duke Ellington--Take The A-Train
Scott Joplin--The Entertainer
Fats Waller--Ain't Misbehavin'

Julia Lee--Mama Don't Allow It
Mississippi John Hurt--Frankie
Mississippi John Hurt--Stackolee
Mississippi John Hurt--Nobody's Dirty Business
Blind Boy Fuller--Rag Mama Rag
Blind Roosevelt Graves--Crazy About My Baby
Jim Jackson--Kansas City Blues
Big Joe Williams--Baby Please Don't Go

Lost John Hunter & His Blind Boys--Cool Down Mama
Odetta--God's Gonna Cut You Down
Bessie Smith--Me And My Gin
Leadbelly--Goodnight Irene
Leadbelly--Where Did You Sleep Last Night?
Blind Willie Johnson--Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground
Blind Willie Johnson--Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed
Big Bill Broonzy--When The Sun Goes Down

Howlin' Wolf--Smokestack Lightnin'
Howlin' Wolf--How Many More Years
Howlin' Wolf--Spoonful
Rosco Gordon--I'm Gonna Shake It
Muddy Waters--I'm A Man
Muddy Waters--I Can't Be Satisfied
Robert Johnson--I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
Robert Johnson--They're Red Hot
Robert Johnson--32-20 Blues

Big Mama Thornton--Hound Dog
Bo Diddley--Bo Diddley
Jackie Brenston & His Delta Cats--Rocket 88
Barrett Strong--Money (That's What I Want)
The Coasters--Yakety Yak
Little Richard--Tutti Frutti
Little Richard--Good Golly Miss Molly
Little Richard--Keep A Knockin'
Screamin' Jay Hawkins--I Put A Spell On You

Chuck Berry--Johnny B. Goode
Chuck Berry--Roll Over Beethoven
Chuck Berry--Maybellene
Ray Charles--What I'd Say
Ray Charles--Mess Around
Elvis Presley--Jailhouse Rock
Elvis Presley--Hound Dog
Elvis Presley--Don't Be Cruel

Carl Perkins--Blue Suede Shoes
Eddie Cochran--Summertime Blues
Buddy Holly--Peggy Sue
Buddy Holly--That'll Be The Day
Buddy Holly--Everyday
The Wailers--Dirty Robber
Hank Williams--I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Hank Williams--Lovesick Blues

The Carter Family--Wildwood Flower
Jonny Cash--I Walk The Line
Al Dexter & His Troopers--Pistol Packin' Mama
Tom Lehrer--Poisoning Pigeons In The Park
Tom Lehrer--The Elements
Harry Belafonte--Day-O
Josephine Baker--What Can I Say Dear After I Say I'm Sorry
Frank Sinatra--You Make Me Feel So Young

Cab Calloway--Minnie The Moocher
Cab Calloway--Everybody Eats When They Come To My House
Moondog--Invocation
Karlheinz Stockhausen--Gesang Der Junglinge
Karlheinz Stockhausen--Kontakte
Olivier Messiaen--Oraison
John Cage--4'33"
John Cage--Williams Mix
Vladimir Ussachevsky--Wireless Fantasy

That's what I think. I need more stuff from these eras though.

No comments:

Post a Comment