Friday, September 3, 2010

Pitchfork's Top Songs of the 1990s

After all that anticipation (that is, if you cared at all), Pitchfork's 200 best songs of the '90s are all published on the interweb. Overall the list is interesting, full of many songs I don't know and many I do and enjoy. Do I agree with everything? Well, no. But that's okay. It's also hard to gauge whether or not I agree with placements, on account of I haven't made my own list.

The top twenty (with some of my reactions) and my predictions (made on Wednesday) are after the jump. Tell me what you think about the list.




And the top twenty is...

20. DJ Shadow--Midnight In A Perfect World
I predicted as much, and it deserves this spot enough for me.
19. Mazzy Star--Fade Into You
Never heard it before today. It's good, maybe not #19 good, though.
18. Daft Punk--Da Funk
I was always partial to "Around The World" but even that would be overrated at this spot.
17. Belle & Sebastian--The State I Am In
Eh. Not my thing as much.
16. Outkast--SpottieOttieDopaliscious
Can't say anything bad about this one.
15. Depeche Mode--Enjoy The Silence
Should've predicted this. Great song, but not quite this great in my estimation.
14. The Notorious B.I.G.--Juicy
See #15.
13. Nirvana--Smells Like Teen Spirit
I mean, c'mon... It's at least a top 5-er.
12. Aphex Twin--Windowlicker
They're really loving themselves some Aphex Twin. Great song, though.
11. Bjork--Hyperballad
Makes pretty good sense.
10. Weezer--Say It Ain't So
If anything slightly underrated.
9. Beck--Loser
Can't argue much here either.
8. Aaliyah--Are You That Somebody?
I forgot about this song. It's awesome. Maybe not #8 awesome, but close.
7. Neutral Milk Hotel--Holland, 1945
Not too much wrong here, but I'll always prefer "In The Aeroplane".
6. My Bloody Valentine--Only Shallow
Good choice.
5. Wu-Tang Clan--Protect Ya Neck
Not sure it's #5 good, but it's an amazing track.
4. Radiohead--Paranoid Android
I'm not surprised; I do think it's overrated a bit.
3. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg--Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang
I'm a little surprised it's so high up. Not quite this good for me, but it's a classic.
2. Pulp--Common People
I should've guessed this. Amazing song.
1. Pavement--Gold Soundz
Frankly, I'm a little surprised and a little disappointed. It's not even my favorite Pavement song, and it doesn't have anything that screams "this is the best song of a whole decade" about it.

Anyhow, here are my predictions that I made Wednesday. Let's see how good they were (red means wrong, green means right):
  • There will be an MBV song in the top twenty, maybe top ten. My guess is "Soon".
  • There will be a Radiohead song in the top twenty, maybe top ten. My guess is "Paranoid Android".
  • There will be a Pavement song in the top twenty, maybe top ten. My guess is either "Summer Babe" or "Gold Soundz".
  • "Nothing Compares 2 U" should show up pretty high.
  • "Autumn Sweater" shows up.
  • "Unfinished Sympathy" goes top ten. Bold prediction, eh?
  • Another top ten-er and possibly #1: "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Duh.
  • "Midnight In A Perfect World" goes top twenty.
  • I'm not sure if there's been a Dre cut already, but I think we'll see "Nuthin' But A G Thang" somewhere around the 30s.
  • This may be my love of Weezer, but "Say It Ain't So" should be up there.
  • Beck should score with either "Where It's At" or "Loser" (whichever one isn't picked is robbed big time) in the top twenty.
  • Maybe it's just my favorite one, but "Game Of Pricks"--or maybe "I Am A Scientist"--represents GBV in the top thirty for sure.
  • This is another I'm pulling for: "New Partner" by Palace Music. Just somewhere in the top 50.
  • Something Bjork. "Joga", "Hyperballad", "Army of Me", "Human Behaviour", "It's Oh So Quiet", etc.
  • Neutral Milk Hotel cracks the top twenty with either "In The Aeroplane" or "Holland 1945".
  • Have the Smashing Pumpkins shown up? If not, either "1979" or "Cherub Rock".
  • Well, judging by the albums list, something off The Soft Bulletin will definitely be in there.
  • What about Wu-Tang? If they're not on already, look for "Protect Ya Neck" or "C.R.E.A.M." high but not too high.
  • You know, they could always put "MMMbop" where it should be, which is in the top ten.
  • As far as other pop smashes are concerned: "I Want It That Way", "Jump Around", and "You Oughta Know" could make some surprise appearances.
  • Most people throw U2's "One" near the top of '90s songs lists. I don't think Pitchfork will do the same, but you never know.
  • I'd also love to see "Walkin' On The Sun" by Smash Mouth, but I'd say that's unlikely.
  • I don't think I saw Elliott Smith on the list. "Needle In The Hay" perhaps? That's what I'd pick I think.
  • I don't think I saw Beastie Boys either, in which case my guess is "So Whatcha Want".
So my guesses were solid. Whatever. Who cares, really? (I do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment