Thursday, August 5, 2010

Song of The Day #084


"I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" by Frank Sinatra

I often feel jaded; I can't appreciate music unless it's wildly complex or different or weird or...you get the point. But then I hear songs like this one, which was released a decade before anything by The Stooges or The Velvet Underground, two decades before Joy Division, and before that showcase of lyrical complexity that is In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" is perfectly simple, perfectly un-shocking. And because it's message is so simple, so obvious, it's far stronger and more heartbreaking than most of these fancy, metaphor-laden indie rock ballads. Obviously the song benefits from Sinatra's voice, which is of course one of the best and most emotional voices in the history of music--maybe the best--but what I want to highlight is the simplicity of the songwriting and how it helps to cure my jadedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment