Friday, October 23, 2009

Poll Results: Do You Like Flaming Lips?

This week, I asked you all if you like The Flaming Lips. The Flaming Lips have been making psychedelic-y pop music for over twenty years now, gaining an increasingly large fan base with each successive album and over-the-top live show. Their most recent album, Embryonic, which was released a few weeks ago, has gotten exceedingly positive reviews from notable critics. Past albums of theirs like The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots are widely regarded as works of genius. They even have a street named after them in Oklahoma City. The Flaming Lips are a big deal.

But I don't like them. What I've heard of their music is all kind of unoriginal and uninteresting. Their music is certainly not terrible, but not that good either. And so I always wonder why they have such a large and devoted cult behind them. This is why I asked this week's poll question. I wanted to see if you people were like me, or if you liked this highly celebrated group. Well, with your all-time low (bummer) 5 votes, you guys agreed with me. 80% of you said you did not like The Flaming Lips, and 20% said you thought their crazy live shows were fun, but the music still was no good. Nobody said they actually truly liked the band. So there you have it: people don't actually like The Flaming Lips. I guess.

Anyways, thanks for voting. Vote in this week's poll, too: the question is, "How should my lists be organized?" The impetus behind this question is that I'm not really sure whether it's more fun to read a list that counts down from the top (i.e. from #1 to #120) or one that counts up from the bottom (i.e. #120 to #1). I've toyed with both setups on Il Buono, but I'm not sure which is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment