Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Song of The Day #009


"No Pussy Blues" by Grinderman

It's called "No Pussy Blues", but Nick Cave and Co. really aren't "blue" about not gettin' any; they're pissed. Big time. And never has screaming about lack of pussy ever sounded so poetic. The song starts with a romantic courtship--"I read her Elliot, read her Yeats/I tried my best to stay up late/I fixed the hinges on her gate"--that, after repeated rejection, becomes an aggressive, angry plea for lovin'--"I thought I'd have another go/I called her my little ho/I felt like Marcel Marceau must feel when/She said she just never wanted to". You know how there's a few--or maybe fifty--songs that just excite you every time you hear them, no matter how long the duration is between listens? Of course you do. Everyone has those songs. "No Pussy Blues" is one of mine, and when I heard it for the first time in a couple months yesterday, I was thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment