Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pitchfork's Top Tracks of 2010

Ooooh, Pitchfork! Seriously, though, even as the biggest music webzine has all but burst the seams of its britches over the past few years, it's remained the most interesting, informative, and well-curated mainstream/underground music publication. Sure, there are times I cringe while reading it (such as while perusing the MBDTF review), but there are way more times that I learn something cool or find a new artist/band/track I like. Bottom line is that Pitchfork's good. Very good. And we here at Il Buono like their lists. So I now present to you their 100 favorite tracks of the past year--well, I present the top ten, rather, and they present the top 100 here (pt. 1) and here (pt.2). (As a whole the list isn't too unpredictable, but it's solid. Some nice placements for Azari & III, Titus, and some more. I do have some qualms with the we-pick-a-maximum-of-two-songs-per-artist rule, though. C'est la vie.)



10. Janelle Monae (feat. Big Boi)--Tightrope
A soul jam for the ages that is not to be placed outside the top ten (or even five).
9. Arcade Fire--Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
Can't complain too much about this pick.
8. James Blake--I Only Know (What I Know Now)
My second favorite Blake tune. Still a great one.
7. Joanna Newsom--Good Intentions Paving Co.
Sure.
6. Kanye West (feat. Dwele)--POWER
Understandable.
5. Big Boi (feat. Cutty)--Shutterbugg
The beginning of this song is massive. It proceeds to lose steam, but it's still quite good.
4. Robyn--Dancing On My Own
This has been climbing my own list consistently since it came out.
3. LCD Soundsystem--I Can Change
My third favorite off the album, so...yeah.
2. Kanye West (feat. Pusha T)--Runaway
Oof. I predicted this was going to take the #1 slot.
1. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti--Round And Round
A truly fantastic single from an otherwise overrated album.

The 'fork's albums list will be out by the end of the week. The Buono's songs and albums list should be out next week hopefully, after I'm done with exams. Cool beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment