Thursday, July 8, 2010

Song of The Day #070


"Time To Pretend" by MGMT

A few years ago I went to see Of Montreal at the Metro. MGMT was opening. I hadn't heard of them--this was many months pre-Oracular Spectacular--so I opened up their MySpace page to do some investigating. If I remember correctly, the page wasn't aesthetically pleasing; it looked like pixel-y, psychedelic throwup. As far as the music went, they had one song posted: "Time To Pretend." I liked it within four bars and was instantly excited to see the group perform live. Turns out they're a decent live band, so I bought their debut album. It wasn't very good. Except for "Time To Pretend"; besides that song, MGMT hasn't really made any notable music in my opinion. The fact that it was the only song on that old MySpace page might mean that the band itself knows that the tune is its magnum opus. It's a brilliant pop song that should stay brilliant and relevant for the next few decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment