Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Poll Results: Your Favorite Prince Album

Prince is kinda one of the most amazing people ever (in modern music, at least). Though his creative well has run semi-dry over the past two decades, he's still responsible for altering the courses of pop and R&B music, and he is still responsible for some of pop's all-time greatest longplayers. And so I asked you about your favorite Prince album. It's not easy to choose between records in a canon as wonderful as Prince's, but I asked you to do it anyways. While I'm not sure you all share my infatuation with the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince, I know that, deep down inside, everyone loves the Purple One.

With each successive album from the late '70s to the late '80s, Prince further demonstrated his genius. He made bizarre, experimental, futuristic funk-pop that, despite being very weird musically and lyrically, was extremely popular. For the poll, I gave options of the three albums I believe represent him the best: the early and incestuous Dirty Mind, the mid-career magnum-opus Purple Rain, and the double-album masterpiece Sign O The Times. Understandably, your favorite was Purple Rain, a brilliant album and also one of the best pop albums ever. Sign O The Times came in second, and Dirty Mind placed third.

It's important to note that the reason I did this poll is because, lately, I've been listening almost exclusively to Sign O The Times, and it is rapidly finding its way into my shortlist for best albums ever. There's just something about it that makes it both my favorite Prince album and, now, one of my favorites of all time. I'll talk more about it when I revisit my Top Albums of the '80s list in a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment