Thursday, October 14, 2010

Song of The Day #138


"Controversy" by Prince

My favorite Prince song changes from week to week, even day to day. Today, well, it's "Controversy". Hailing from the slightly forgettable album of the same name, "Controversy" shows off Prince at his absolute funkiest. Skittering guitar riffs and Zapp-y synths are aflutter as Prince sings "Do I believe in God/Do I believe in me"--a sentiment that, while arguably cliche, is provocatively likable. That the organ follows the melody adds that perfect maximalist punch that nearly every Prince tune has. Hearing songs like this and albums like, well, almost every album Prince has ever made makes me proud to say that Prince Rogers Nelson is among the most talented musicians ever. Top ten. Quote me.

No comments:

Post a Comment