Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Favorite '80s Pop Songs


Last week (or the week before, I can't remember) I counted down my favorite albums and pop songs of the 1990s. It was a lot of fun. (At least I thought so.) Well, this week I'm going to take a look at the previous decade--the 1980s.

This list will go through the 30 best pop songs of the decade. The '80s were a time of excess, bright colors, MTV, and Jheri curls. The pop music, which this list centers on, was usually also excessive and ridiculous. Most of it is synth-driven, glossy pop, but some of the post-punk groups were able to cross over. So there's a mix. I think the music on this list speaks for itself; it's fun, weird, electronic, and amazing. Because of that, I'm not going to write explanations. I'm saving myself for the albums left, which is coming later this week I think. So here you go. Enjoy.

30. Adam & The Ants--"Antmusic"
28. Rob Base & DJ E.Z. Rock--It Takes Two
27. The Go-Go's--Our Lips Are Sealed
26. David Bowie--Ashes To Ashes
25. The Cure--Close To Me
24. The Waitresses--I Know What Boys Like
22. Musical Youth--Pass The Dutchie
21. A Flock Of Seagulls--I Ran (So Far Away)

19. Kajagoogoo--Too Shy
17. Madness--Our House
16. Michael Jackson--Billie Jean
15. Yello--Oh Yeah
14. Wall Of Voodoo--Mexican Radio
13. New Order--Bizarre Love Triangle
12. Prince--When Doves Cry
11. Gary Numan & Tubeway Army--Cars

10. Modern English--I Melt With You
9. Devo--Whip It
8. Frankie Goes To Hollywood--Relax
7. Soft Cell--Tainted Love
6. Talking Heads--Burning Down The House
5. The Human League--Don't You Want Me
4. Dexy's Midnight Runners--Come On Eileen
3. The Cure--Just Like Heaven
2. Joy Division--Love Will Tear Us Apart
1. New Order--Blue Monday


That's what I think. I have nothing clever to say. (Not to say that any of my sign-offs are clever.)

1 comment:

  1. At least everyone was litening to mainly the same stuff. Today's offerings are so fragmented.

    ReplyDelete