Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gorilla vs. Bear's Best Albums of 2009

I like Gorilla vs. Bear. I don't usually read their news or anything, but I appreciate the mp3s and lists they post. A Sun Araw mp3 they posted earlier this year introduced me to Heavy Deeds, one of my favorite albums of the year. Their Best Albums of '08 list introduced me to Grouper's Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill, which was one of my favorites of last year. So, even if I don't necessarily agree with all their lists (especially the fact that every single one has White Denim at or near the top), I think they are some of the best around. (Their are two lists: one by Chris and one by David. Both their top 10s are below, and the whole thing is here.)

Chris' List

10. Fever Ray--Fever Ray
I think it deserves even higher.
9. jj--no. 2
I'm not quite as thrilled about this one.
8. Girls--Album
Good enough, but not top 10 worthy.
7. Smith Westerns--Smith Westerns
They're from Chicago! (But they're not great.)
6. The Sandwitches--How To Make Ambient Sadcake
Had never heard of it before today, but I just listened, and I like it. I think I'll get it.
5. The xx--xx
See #8.
4. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion
No big complaints here. Maybe higher though?
3. Grizzly Bear--Veckatimest
No big complaints here. Maybe lower though?
2. White Denim--Fits
This band is solid, but not as great as GvB thinks.
1. Raekwon--Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Vol. 2
Interesting choice. Top 10: sure. Number 1: hmm...

David's List (If they were in the last list, I won't say anything.)

10. The Sandwitches--How To Make Ambient Sadcake
9. jj--no. 2
8. Various--Ghana Special
A compilation I've never heard.
7. Smith Westerns--Smith Westerns
6. Neon Indian--Psychic Chasms
I like this, but not this much.
5. The xx--xx
4. Girls--Album
3. Grizzly Bear--Veckatimest
2. White Denim--Fits
1. Animal Collective--Merriweather Post Pavilion

I guess this means we're gonna start seeing a lot of '09 lists. Mine will come around December 20ish. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment