Sunday, August 16, 2009

Best of the Decade List

For those of you who don't know, this decade that we are currently living in is coming to a close. The ends of years, months--even days--are like the list-maker's Christmas (well, Chanukah. Well, Yom Kippur. We don't really have a close Christmas equivalent). So the end of a decade? Wow. That's like ten Christmases in one.

However, it's quite difficult to make a best of the decade (what is this decade called? The Aughts? Curious) list before the decade is over. Gorilla Vs. Bear, which is a blog I read and respect, already published a rough top 20 of the decade list that you can see here. It's a solid list that has many of my personal favorites on it, but, once again, the decade isn't over. Pitchfork just announced a whole several-month-long decade wrap-up that will culminate in a Best Albums of the Decade list in late September or something. They talk about it here. But we still have a few months in which many great albums could be released. Health's new album drops September 8. Ty Braxton's comes out the week after. Fuck Buttons' new one and Atlas Sound's new one are both coming October 20. And that's just a few that could certainly be on a Best Albums of the Decade list.

One more thing. It is very hard to compare an album that came out in 2000 with an album that came out in 2009 because albums that came out several years ago have had time to resonate and grow, or, potentially, sour. For example, Since I Left You by The Avalanches has been on my iPod for years, and I have listened to it countless times with consistently forgiving returns. Bitte Orca by Dirty Projectors might be as good, perhaps better. However, I don't know that it will be as good in nine years.

Nonetheless, I will give you all my own picks for best albums (and maybe songs) of the decade some time in January 2010. After the decade is over. That's that.

That's what I think. If you want to tell me I'm wrong or speculate what my Top 10 might be when I finally do publish that list, go for it.

2 comments:

  1. i agree! while it may not be too soon to begin culminating such a list, it is certainly too early to publish one! We still have some months left! and albums to be released!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i mean creating. not culminating. i can't erase the last comment. buggers.

    ReplyDelete